Child rapist jailed for attacking girl while giving her lift

A Child rapist who subjected a vulnerable teenage girl to a terrifying attack in his car while giving her a lift has been jailed.

The child had been to a party and became separated from her friends ended up being given a lift by Kajal Miah. However he deviated from the route and took her to a dark place and raped her.

Newcastle Crown Court heard he was disturbed by a phone call as he attacked her on the back seat, lying to the caller that his passenger had been sick. He then told her it should be their ‘little secret’ but she was shaking and crying and immediately told a relative of her terrifying ordeal.

Lee Fish, prosecuting, told the court the girl then gave an account to police. He said: “She said they were travelling the correct route initially towards her home but he deviated from that route and stopped the car.

“She couldn’t recall where they ended up but described it as a dark place. She said at some stage the defendant was touching her leg and asking if she was cold.”

He then sexually assaulted her and told her to get in the back of the car. Mr Fish said: “She describes freezing. There was no easy escape route.”

He denied having any sexual contact with her but forensic evidence on her and on his boxer shorts revealed he had and he eventually admitted his guilt.

She said in a victim impact statement: “When it first happened it felt like the end of the world. It has taken over my life. I started to see a few friends again but I feel unsafe all the time.

“I now need someone to walk me home. I feel so unsafe and can’t walk by myself.

“I’ve got so many emotions bottled up inside me. One day I feel really angry and the next I feel really sad. I feel like I’m never going to get over what happened.

“I started off telling myself it would get better but nothing has changed. I can’t stop thinking about it.”

The court heard Miah has convictions for violence, dishonesty, weapons and drug dealing offences. He was also given a warning in 2002 for sexual intercourse with a 13-year-old and was cautioned in 2003 for sexual intercourse with a 13-year-old girl when he was 17.

Miah, 39, formerly of Westgate Road, Newcastle, pleaded guilty to rape and assault by penetration and was jailed for nine years, of which he will serve two-thirds in custody. He was also ordered to sign the sex offenders register indefinitely and will be subject to a sexual harm prevention order indefinitely.

Judge Tim Gittins said: “You took the opportunity to abuse her for your own sexual gratification in a calculating way that was terrifying as far as she was concerned. She had, understandably, frozen, a much more common reaction than fighting back in such terrifying circumstances.”

Glenn Gatland, defending, said: “He can’t believe he has done this himself.” He said he had been hearing the voice of his mother in his head and self-medicating with cocaine and heroin to try to block out the psychotic episodes.

Mr Gatland said he had taken cocaine on the night of the offences and added: “It may be as a result of that he was disinhibited and behaved in a way which was substantially out of character.”

Mr Gatland added that Miah suffered a ruptured pancreas, chips to his spin and a fractured skull after appearing to receive “condign punishment” in the immediate aftermath of the rape.

The officer in charge of the investigation, Detective Constable Claire Ashurst, of Northumbria Police’s Safeguarding Department, said: “This was an absolutely horrendous ordeal for Miah’s victim and something no child should ever have to go through.

“Without her bravery and strength, Miah would not be behind bars and his offending may never have been uncovered – and this is something she should be incredibly proud of herself for.

“Thanks to her immediate reporting of this offence, we were able to swiftly gather crucial DNA evidence which helped us to secure a conviction.

“Miah is a vile predator who more than deserves his sentence and our communities are undoubtedly a safer place because of this.”