Classic Match – Newcastle 1-2 Sunderland (1999)

On 25 August 1999, Sunderland earned their first victory over their old enemy for the first time in 9 years after an impressive second half comeback in a match which is famous for its extreme weather circumstances.

Then Newcastle manager, Ruud Gullit shocked the country with his decision to start their star man Alan Shearer on the bench.

The Magpies took the lead in the first half, just before the half hour mark as Keiran Dyer was played through by Paul Robinson and he chipped the ball smartly over Sorensen to make it 1-0.

The weather only seemed to get worse and the ball was starting to stick on the pitch, but that never stopped Sunderland making a miraculous comeback in the second half.

It all started with Sunderland legend Niall Quinn, who 10 minutes before his equiser got on the end of a Nicky Summerbee cross but scuffed his header just wide.

Just after the hour mark, Quinn had another opportunity, but this time he wasn’t going to miss.

Sunderland were given a free-kick on the right hand side and Nicky Summerbee put in a delightful ball which was flicked on by Quinn and found the bottom corner.

Not long after the equaliser, Gullit turned to Alan Shearer to try and get back in front, but that didn’t work as just moments after he was introduced, Kevin Phillips found himself through on goal.

There was a scuffle on the right-hand side of the pitch as Alan Sherer was, fairly, taken out by Chris Makin and Sunderland broke away with the ball.

It was played into Kevin Phillips who was free in the area and his first shot was parried by Tommy Wright and the danger looked as though it was gone, but Phillips swiveled and chipped the ball High over Wright and into the top corner of the goal.

Sunderland had two big scares as Newcastle pushed on for the equaliser in the dying moments of the game.

The first came when Nolberto Solano thought he had scored but he somehow missed the target, everyone in St James’ Park thought he had scored.

Then just before the end, Kevin Ball went in hard on Duncan Ferguson and his challenge looped over Sorensen and hit the bar from about 25-yards out.

The Black Cats finally won a Tyne-Wear Derby for the first time since the famous Play-Off semi-final win back in 1990 and it tumed out to be pivotal for Newcastle manager, Ruud Gullit who resigned three days later after just 5 games into the season.