Northumbria Police Chief Superintendent on trial accused of domestic assault

Karl Wilkinson, Chief Superintendent for Northumbria Police, allegedly assaulted his wife twice during a domestic incident at their home in the Great Park area of Newcastle.

North Tyneside Magistrates Court heard how Wilkinson allegedly assaulted his wife twice during a domestic incident after she discovered messages which suggested he had been unfaithful.

It was said that the 49-year-old’s partner returned home from a Halloween party in October last year and found him intoxicated.

Michael Bunch for the prosecution, told the court: “She looked at the defendant’s mobile phone. She had concerns as to his faithfulness. She identified messages that appeared to suggest her fears were genuine.

“The defendant became aware of her actions and there was a struggle in the address over that mobile phone.”

The court heard how he allegedly damaged her necklace and ripped her dress during the incident on October 28, last year.

Mr Bunch said she fled from the residence and was consequently pursued by Wilson, who allegedly “rugby tackled” her to the ground, kneeling on her chest while he attempted to recover the phone.  

Mr Bunch said: “The defendant again took hold of her and put her to the floor. There was a further struggle of the phone.

“The defendant initially gained control of that before [Wilson’s wife] took it back into her possession. She, at that point, briefly contacted the police.”

She could be heard in a hoarse voice saying “domestic” before the call was terminated, the court heard.

Mr Bunch added that a “series of screams” could be heard when the police called her back.

Wilson allegedly damaged the mobile phone by throwing it to the ground, the court heard.

Wilson allegedly said during an interview that he was acting in self defence, and that he had put her in a “bear hug” to calm her down.

His wife was called to give evidence in court on Monday morning, but declined to do so.

Wilson, 49, of Great Park, Newcastle, denies two charges of assault by beating, and one count of criminal damage.

The trial continues.