Restaurant closed down after continuing to serve food despite rat infestation, and even having dead rats lying around

A restaurant has been shut down after it was found to be continually serving food despite having a rat infestation.

When Environmental Health Officers inspected TeAmo BBQ House on Percy Street in Newcastle City Centre last year, they found piles of soil and holes caused by rats burrowing.

Droppings were also found all over the floor, on work surfaces, under the oven and the sink used for washing pans.

The lid of a deep fat fryer covered a hole where rats had gained entry, and was stuffed with six wax blocks of poison.

There were smudge marks along the skirting boards where rats had been running, and the infestation was described as prolonged and well established.

The owner agreed for the business to close immediately, at the request of Environmental Health Officers, until the pest activity was brought under control and a deep clean of the premises undertaken.

A number of re-visits to the premises were made by the Environmental Health Team to make sure that work required to improve hygiene standards was being carried out.

However, the rat problem remained and droppings were continued to be found.

Food business operator Min Hou of Spring Garden Lane, Newcastle, admitted five breaches of food hygiene regulations when she appeared before Newcastle Magistrates.

She was fined £533, ordered to pay a victim surcharge of £213 and £1,200 costs, a total of £1,946.

The establishment had previously been given one-star hygiene ratings.

Leave a Reply