Author: Peter Gibson is a local historian and the Chairman of the Southwick Village Green Preservation Society, a group dedicated to reviving and promoting the heritage of Southwick on Wear and greater community cohesion. The group have funded dozens of blue heritage plaques and other projects improving the area.
The North Star Community Amateur Boxing Club opened in 2016 in the back room of the North Star public house. In December 2019, the building closed as a pub and the boxing club took over all of the ground floor. Much hard work went into the interior structure and decorating by the building owner Davie King and his wife Val to prepare the boxing club to open in July 2020.
The dedicated coach, Danny Hopper and his team have developed a vibrant club that has gone from strength to strength. Since 2016 NSABC has achieved:
- Multiple Box Cup Champions.
- Multiple Tyne Tees & Wear USL Belt Champions.
- 5 x National Champions.
- 10 x National Finalists.
- The club travels the country to compete in competitive bouts.
- In August 2022 the Southwick based Club was voted the best club among 74 other clubs in the North East by the Tyne Tees & Wear ABA Committee.
- And on Monday evening August 22nd 13-year-old Layla Straughan received a fantastic welcome from the Southwick community when she arrived at the North Star with her silver medal from the EUBC Schools European Championships in Turkey. Layla had fought for Team England in the U40 kilo final when she was narrowly beaten in a split decision. Layla was National Schoolgirl Champion in 2021 and 2022.
The North Star boxing club may be described as yet another “Southwick Success Story” and a step forwards in the area’s revival, one that has brought new competitive opportunities and awards to young people.