Vet issues warning to dog owners over chocolate poisoning this Easter

Chocolate may be a delicious treat for humans but it’s not to be eaten by dogs, a vet has warned.

During Easter, we’re likely to have more chocolate around the house. So it’s important to keep an eye on our dogs and recognise the symptoms of chocolate poisoning.

Dr Corinne, at Petsure, has shared some warning signs that your dog might have eaten chocolate. She said: “A chemical called theobromine is what makes chocolate toxic to dogs. The darker the chocolate, the higher the level of theobromine and the more toxic it is.

“Chocolate can be poisonous to dogs, even in small amounts. Symptoms include vomiting, diarrhoea, excessive panting and thirst, hyperactivity, tremors, irregular breathing and even seizures. In severe cases, chocolate poisoning can be fatal.”

Dr Corinne says: “The most important thing is to act quickly as time is crucial. Contact your vet or the nearest emergency vet clinic immediately.

“If possible, you should also note the type and amount of chocolate eaten, as well as when it was eaten. Your dog’s size will impact how severely they’re affected by the amount of chocolate they have eaten

“Never try to make your dog vomit up the chocolate at home. Common remedies like hydrogen peroxide or salt can make your pet very unwell and not always be effective. Veterinary surgeons have access to safe, effective medications that can make your dog sick and remove the potentially toxic chocolate before it can cause any harm.”

SGM

FREE
VIEW