Warning after child hospitalised for four days after being burned by Giant Hogweed

Parents are again being warned to keep their children away from giant hogweed plants after a teenage boy was hospitalised for four days following an encounter with one.

Michael Taylor, 13, spent four nights in the Royal Victoria Infirmary in Newcastle and must keep his legs out of sunlight for the next 12 months after brushing against the toxic plant.

The plant, which is usually seen between June and August is one of the UK’s most dangerous weeds, with its sap diminishing the skin’s ability to fend off sunlight radiation, and therefore making one vulnerable to severe burning.

Giant Hogweed is described as being very tall with a stiff stem and white flowers

Recently, another child from Ryhope suffered burns to the arm after an encounter with the plant.