CCTV footage of County Durham drink driver showing moments before fatal crash that killed three has been released

CCTV footage of a speeding drink driver from County Durham who killed three people when he was more than two-and-a-half times the legal limit, has been released.

Carl Simpson, from County Durham, got into his car after consuming several pints of lager and crashed into another car at 126mph on Romney Road, Lydd, in Kent.

His two passengers, Jack Ryle-Thompsett, from Lydd, and Michael Phelan from Hull, died at the scene, along with Sharon Haywood, From Ashford, who was driving the other car.

On Sunday 18 April 2021, Simpson, 36, had been drinking at a pub in Lydd before moving on to another pub in New Romney with Mr Phelan and Mr Ryle-Thompsett. After spending around two hours at this pub all three got into the car, a white BMW driven by Simpson.

Simpson left New Romney and drove along the A259, Lydd Road, before driving along Romney Road where he collided with Mrs Haywood’s Dacia Duster at about 6.20pm.

All three victims died at the scene and Simpson, who was also injured, was arrested before being taken to hospital for treatment. Simpson was able to tell one of the officers at the scene that he had been out drinking and had three or four pints of lager.

A blood sample, taken an hour and 20 minutes after the collision produced a reading of 191 milligrams, more than double the 80mg limit. Following an investigation by the Serious Collision Investigation Unit, officers were able to piece together the movements of the BMW before the collision.

One witness described seeing the car veering onto the wrong side of the road and taking a corner at such speed that the wheels left the floor.

Simpson from Glebe Close, County Durham, was charged with three counts of causing death by dangerous driving and three counts of causing death without due care while over the prescribed limit. He pleaded guilty to the offences at Canterbury Crown Court last month and was today jailed for 10 years. Simpson will also be disqualified from driving for five years on his release.